About

(Under construction… in perpetual beta)

elsua S.L. Luis Suarez is a Chief Emergineer, People Enabler and Charter Member of Change Agents Worldwide and a well seasoned Social / Open Business evangelist and 2.0 practitioner with over 15 years of experience on knowledge management, collaboration, learning, online communities and social networking for business, and has been living, since February 2008, a work life without email challenging the status quo of how knowledge workers collaborate and share their knowledge by promoting openness, transparency, trust, sustainable growth, engagement, connectedness and overall smart work.

Wirearchy is about the power and effectiveness of people working together through connection and collaboration … taking responsibility individually and collectively rather than relying on traditional hierarchical status”@jonhusband

Luis can be contacted over in Twitter at @elsua or Google Plus.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: +3 (from 3 votes)
Worth while sharing it along?

130 Comments »

• Luis Suarez says:

@Tom, catching up with the messages and blog comments mentioned above. It looks like LI keeps misbehaving big time and everything, which is why I always use my private personal email for the sign-up process to avoid such problems. Not sure whether you are using Google Plus as well, but that could well be another medium we can interact on, including privately. For the time being, check your Inbox! :-P

• Tom O'Malley says:

Luis,
      I don’t trust Google with privacy either. They’ve been dinged twice by the FTC, and their published policy is atrocious. Privacy policies should be on one page with user options to deselect any parts they don’t want to agree to.

Back to an outsider’s solution to real-world problems, in 1999, I invented paperless ticketing with digital resales/transfers in the subscribed sporting/entertainment events secondary market controlled by illegal ticket scalpers.  To understand how my 1999 invention was a “disruptive innovation,” you should read “The Master Switch” by Columbia law professor Tim Wu. He has written an historical account of disruptive (game-changing) vs sustaining (minor improvements) innovation in the communication, information and entertainment industries starting with Western Union’s hard-wired telegraph, and how disruptive innovations spawn new companies that eventually attempt to monopolize the information and communication industries (today, Google, Apple, Amazon?), a process that Professor Wu calls “the Cycle.” (See also, The Innovator’s Dilemma, When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail, by Professor Clayton Christensen).  Significantly, what you identify as “thinking outside the inbox” on your website, Professor Wu describes as the outsider’s perspective, that is, a person from outside the industry who invents solutions to real-world problems.

In 1997, I was an outsider to the sports ticketing industry, a sports fan and a lawyer by day. I had paid a colleague the $45 face value for 4 tickets to take my family to a sold-out Florida Panthers hockey game in Miami.  On our way into the hockey arena, I saw ticket scalpers selling tickets for 2 to 3 times the ticket’s face value and a little boy crying as he walked away from the box office it had sold out of the affordable general admission tickets.

I was expecting a jam-packed arena for the hockey game.  It was jam-packed, but only in the upper level.  The lower level, consisting of mostly season ticket holders, was about 70% full.  I was shocked and couldn’t understand how people could waste so much money while a dad and his crying kid were turned away from the arena because it was “sold out.”  It was at that moment that I thought to myself, if today’s technology enabled us to swipe a credit card at an ATM to get cash out of our checking account in a matter of a few seconds, why can’t season tickets be managed digitally with instantaneous fan access (season ticket holder or transferee) at an ATM-like turnstile activated by a credit card swipe and dispensing a post-entry paper ticket with seating information.

This bugged me for the rest of the year, so I began researching the “no-show” problem for season-ticketed pro sports and determined that my initial thought was in fact the solution to the problem.  All that had to be done was to remove the paper ticket from the admission process, maintain admission rights on a server controlled by the team (hence AdmissionControl.com), and provide season ticket holders with an Internet-accessed computer system to manage their season tickets digitally in real time, to include free transfers to family, friends, colleagues, business clients etc, free donations (e.g.Big Brothers/Sisters organizations, military veterans, firefighters police etc.,) and team/venue approved resales to the public.  To me, this was a win-win solution for everyone except the ticket scalpers.

In my next installment, I will discuss how I went from being a disinterested observer in 1997, to an entrepreneur in 1998 and 1999 because, in the words of Dr. John, “if I don’t do it, you know somebody else will.”

• Moudy B says:

I wonder why many companies in Africa don’t prefer to invest in KM activities if we are talking if we are looking towards innovation and poverty eradication especially in the third world countries where i belong.

• Luis Suarez says:

That’s a very interesting question, Moudy, and I guess it’s most probably down to those companies not wanting to relinquish control of their workforce by freeing up information flows for them to make better decisions and become more open and collaborative over time, changing the whole game around how people get work done, together. Unfortunately, I doubt those very same companies would have much of a choice seeing how social technologies keep accelerating the pace on how we connect, share and collaborate with one another. Think they better adapt or face some pretty intense and challenging times :)

• Hello! I’ve been following your blog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the good work!

• Joe says:

Dear Luis,

Other than to say Hi, I write to let you know about an new app -which is also related to your position on e-mail use.

I´m referring to eRank® -The Effectiveness E-mail Processing App.SM

Your Dec. 2011 participation on The New York Time´s Room for Debate on The Corporate E-mail Use was very interesting and extremely related to what eRank has to offer. Among other things, I believe eRank delivers to what you said then: “Figure out how to make smarter use of it”. Let me explain:

– What: eRank is the effectiveness feature that was missing in e-mail processing. It was designed to help users concentrate on the e-mails that come first.

– How: eRank empowers the Sender to label his e-mails with priority levels with an expected time of response for each. By doing so, the recipient not only gets his messages labeled, but also classified.

– Why: What makes eRank stand out are three things: Its vision is based on “us”; its structure rests on a shared language; and its solution is simple, but powerful.

More importantly, eRank 1.0 is the result of a decade-strong, proven, best business practice turned into embeded software.

It has just been launched globally on the App Store. Starting December 17th 2012 users can download it and you´re invited to take a sneak peak.

You´re welcome to watch a demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzVyzewtrTQ

Your vision on the matter inspired us and gave us a broader view for the design of the software.
    I appreciate your time and hope to meet you some day.

Kind regards,

Joe Castrovera

http://www.erank.pro | @eRank_

• EMAIL SUBJECT: Gran Canaria Business Week 2013

Luis Suarez

Date: December 27, 2012

Hello Luis,

Greetings!

We are happy to invite you to the upcoming Gran Canaria Business Week 2013 conference with the theme “Internet Business and Social Media” — produced by SiVivaEspana.com, with more than 100 000 Facebook fans for Spain and Gran Canaria. The event will be held at various places in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria this January 1-4. 2013. This is an all English business conference in Meloneras and Las Palmas, mainly focused on internet business and social media opportunities.

Media people are given media pass to cover the event. Perhaps you would like to be a part of the very first annual business conference in Gran Canaria which will be held on the first week of January every year.

We look forward to hearing from you soon. Happy holidays!

Best Regards,

Mary Grace E. Lim
    VA SiVivaEspaña.com

P.S.
    Visit these websites for more information.

Go over the 2013 program here:

I am the assistant of Hans Johansen, the producer of Gran Canaria Business Week. Let me know if you would want to be in contact with Hans directly.

• Luis Suarez says:

Hi Mary, thanks ever so much for dropping by and for the information details, along with the kind invitation! It’s *greatly* appreciated! The event “Gran Canaria Business Week 2013 Conference” *does* sound very good, indeed! I would be truly delighted to participate in the event as a media / blogger, as I have done in multiple other various different events, but alas during those days that the conference will be taking place I will be on holidays myself and I’m afraid I won’t be able to make it this time around since I have already got other plans along the way, as you can imagine. If only I would have known earlier on… :)

However, I’m trying to see if I can shift them around and perhaps make it to the main event on Thursday or Friday, either of those days, in Las Palmas de G.C. although I can’t guarantee it at the moment. Mary, what would be the best way of getting in touch with either you or Hans himself to confirm beginning of next week whether I can make it or not, and, if not, I would still want to get together to meet up face to face for a coffee or a drink and talk some more about Gran Canaria Business Week, since I’m very interested in the overall event and superb initiative. Can you please do let me know what would be the best way to arrange that F2F meetup? Like I said, I will try to shift things around over here and perhaps make it to the event rather on Thursday or Friday next week, but no guarantees. Will be in touch to confirm whether I can shift things around!

Thanks a lot, once again, for the kind invite and look forward to meeting you both as some point!

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year, too! :)

• Sarah Fardell says:

Hi Luis!

My best friend is Spanish and lost his job as a civil engineer two years ago in the economic crisis. I’m a corporate writer who hates her job and is feeling totally frustrated. We live in London.

We’ve been inspired by you and others like you, to start up an online business, take a chance on living our dreams and move to the Canary Islands.

So thanks, for the inspiration, positivity and encouragement your blog gives. I’ll see you in the Canaries :)

• Luis Suarez says:

Hi Sarah! Awww, thanks much for dropping by and for sharing that very kind and warm feedback commentary. Really sorry about your best friend losing his job, but I am sure things will be all right pretty soon! And reading you are on your way over here I am sure they will! No doubt!

I am sure you will be all right, but, either way, if you would need any further help while settling down over here, with any kind of advice, please do let me know. I will be more than happy to help any which way to help you folks move along quickly! If you are using Twitter, feel free to reach out to me at @elsua and we can keep in touch that way, perhaps even meet up F2F over time!

Let me know how I can help and all the best with the move and the new adventure about to begin! Exciting times, indeed!

Thanks again for the lovely feedback on the blog and have a good one! Hope to see you both soon!

• martin says:

Hello, I was on [www.elsua.net/2013/01/08/social-business-in-2013-an-opportunity-open-business/] and I saw a lot of great resources about starting a business. I wanted to share an article I helped create that is a non-promotional guide on what to expect when starting a business.

You can see it here: http://www.factoring.net/education/starting-your-own-business/

Let me know your thoughts and feel free to contact me. If you have any recommendations or suggests let me know and I can implement them.

Thanks

• Luis Suarez says:

Hi Martin, I guess it’s always better to respond later than never into a blog conversation, right? Well, that’s probably one of main reasons as to why I enjoy blogging quite a bit that conversations can resurface over time. And even more when I have finally had a chance to look into the link you have shared above and it surely is some pretty good, solid advice on how people can get started with their own business! And you are right, along with Open Business as part of the mix there are plenty of really good tips out there in that article to benefit. Thanks a bunch for sharing it along over here. I am sure it will be helpful to a bunch of people over here reading along!

Thanks again! :)

• Veerle says:

Hi Luis,

My name is Veerle and I am a writer for the MaxBerber blog, which is a blog about the global nomadic lifestyle. The reason for starting this blog is that I work for a company called HotelsAhead, and we develop new hotel concepts around a specific target audience. We are currently developing an extended stay hotel around the global nomadic workforce and we grew so fond of this lifestyle that we wanted to share experiences, news and information on it at our blog. I have been following your website and reading your stories and am very interested about hearing more about your global nomadic lifestyle.
    You seem like a rare breed of global nomad, one that works for a large company and travels much for work – that’s very interesting and I’d love to hear more!
    I was wondering if I could steal 10 minutes of your time to ask you some questions over Skype (or you can of course fill out some of my questions if you have little time) and of course also promote your website in this interview.

Hoping to hear from you soon!

Best regards,

Veerle Donders

• Luis Suarez says:

Hi Veerle, thanks a lot for dropping by and for the heads up! How fascinating and how delightful to read about some of the really cool things you guys are doing with that nomadic lifestyle a bunch of us have been doing for a little while now already. I would be delighted to go through that interview with you over in Skype and everything, but I’m going to have to ask you for a few days before I can do it, since my agenda is already fully booked up till mid-next week… Would it be ok with you to perhaps get together on May 2nd or 3rd and have that Skype call?

If so, leave a follow-up response over here and I will contact you right afterwards to confirm date / time and exchange Skype IDs. Thanks ever so much for the wonderful opportunity and really look forward to it!

Thanks again!

• Veerle says:

Hi Luis,

Thanks for your quick and positive response! Next week May 3rd sound perfect to me :)
    I’m happy you are as excited about this as I am!
    Looking forward to hearing from you,

Veerle

• Luis Suarez says:

Hi Veerle! Terrific! What time on May 3rd? Would early in the morning EDT, or early afternoon, work better for you? Let me know and I will confirm it with you and block my calendar right away. Thanks!!

• Veerle says:

Hi Luis! Great, yes I think that would be perfect! How about 9.00 am EDT?
    My skype name is: veerledonders, looking forward to skyping with you!
    Cheers!

• Luis Suarez says:

Hi Veerle! Fantastic! I have just reached out to you on Skype requesting to connect our IDs there and I will be looking forward to speaking with you on May 3rd at 9am EDT… Thanks again for the opportunity! Have a good one! :)

• Ed Bradford says:

To up your visibility within IBM, Google, FaceBook, Twitter, …
    You must expand your audience. You talk about
    talking with others. Do you have any ideas how
    IBM can actually learn something from Google+,
    FaceBook, LinkedIn, Twitter and make me, an IBM Retiree and internet maven happy?

How can IBM use social media to make extremely happy customers — thereby earning trust. Trust will eventually translate to profit, but until trust is earned, a company cannot expect to succeed.

There is no profit motive in capitalism. It is all about earning trust from customers. Address that with your social media studies and you will succeed and be loved by IBM, Google, Microsoft, LinkedIn, Twitter, …

IBM and Microsoft never wanted to deal with individuals — me or you. They look for business relationships. That is OK, but when the world is turning to individual relationships through Google+, FaceBook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest,
    Instagram,… IBM, Microsoft, HP and other’s only
    interested in business relationships must simply wait. That’s what IBM did in the 1990′s under Gerstner. That’s what HP is doing now. That’s what Microsoft is doing now.

Gerstner did very much more. He moved IBM out
    of non-profitable businesses. He retired and chose Palmisano (SERVICES!!!) to lead and Sam
    did wonderfully. Sam proved that growth is
    not necessary to succeed.

Ooops, sorry to pontificate.
    History of IBM is interesting, wouldn’t you say?

If you have watched IBM’s entry into the “cloud”
    you will understand why it does not understand people — only businesses.

• Luis Suarez says:

Hi Ed, thanks for that extended feedback commentary and for the lovely and insightful trip down the memory lane. It’s greatly appreciated and I am sure the readers of this section of the blog would appreciate it tremendously. So thanks for that!

Have you ever heard of any of these initiatives by any chance: Digital IBMer, IBM SELECT or IBM Voices? Please do let me know if you haven’t as I may be able to share some additional reading on each of them. Those are *just* some of the various initiatives from the company to help IBMers how, in order to be successful, productive and effective at what they do, they need to build, nurture and construct their online digital footprints by being capable of demonstrating their thought leadership, expertise and extended experience interacting with customers and business partners to help solve their business problems.

Ginni Rometty, who I am sure you already know who she is, just recently stated “Engaged employees, they drive the client experience, and that in turn drives your business results, in that order” and that’s what it is all about. Happy Employees = Happy Customers.

That’s where building everlasting trustworthy personal relationships become the key towards those engaged employees interacting with customers. That’s the main premise behind Digital IBMer, IBM SELECT and IBM Voices, amongst others.

It’s a journey, a long one, too! But one that’s worth it. One that I have already been involved with myself for the 12 years and still having a strong sense I am only reading the tip of the iceberg from the true potential. And why I am still there doing my part to change how things may have worked in the past, because there isn’t a guarantee that they would continue to work like that in the future.

Definitely, my father’s IBM is not my IBM, today’s, and that’s what excites me the most to keep pushing the limits till we eventually complete that Open Business journey.

Do let me know how I can be of further help, Ed. I will be more than happy to help out where I possibly can.

Thanks again for your time and for the good feedback. Appreciated.

• Ed Bradford says:

I would very much like to see IBM and, in particular, Luis discuss privacy in the light of recent knowledge of what NSA is doing to collect every bit of digital information it can find.

Privacy is a big issue. Can you discuss it
    or would that be outside your blog’s venue?

Ed Bradford
    Pflugerville,TX

• Luis Suarez says:

Hi Ed, thanks for reaching out and for the feedback comments! I am not sure about IBM, since I don’t represent it over here in this blog (See disclaimer > The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent my employers’ positions, strategies or opinions.), so I would wait for IBM to make its own statement around privacy and everything, but I already got a blog post brewing on that very same topic, which could be summarised with this particular tweet shared across by a good friend of mine David Cushman and which I thought would be worth while sharing across over here as well:

“Remember folks, #StayOpen If there’s any conspiracy it’s the one to make you disconnect and stop sharing. The centre would love that”

Like I said, I will be putting the blog post some time soon, as I get to find out more of the details of what’s been happening all along, but on the topic of privacy, and while acknowledging it’s a very important subject, openness and transparency should help clarify things further along. The key thing, for me, in this whole situation is how it’s asymmetric and not symmetric. The real power is on whether we keep walking the two way street, vs. just one… But more on that in that upcoming blog post…

Thanks again for reaching out and for the feedback!

• Ed Bradford says:

Rather than noodle in private, why not noodle in public on this blog? I think there is a lot to learn of the “tradeoffs” for “security” and “rights – translated in this case to ‘privacy’ – as expressed by the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence”.

Asking questions and being ignorant and learning from others is no failing I recognize.

• Luis Suarez says:

We are noodling on it in public, aren’t we? Isn’t that what we doing in this blog where you have started off the conversation and I share my ¢2 worth of comments as well? :)

To your follow-up, there is certainly a lot to learn, indeed, but I’m not interested in the tradeoffs, more than I am in the compromise of using all of that data for good, vs. whatever else, and in a dual street where our data becomes their data and their data becomes our data. It’s called equity of free flows of information for better decision making. Failure to apply any of those principles will just result in a tyranny of those who possess the access to the information, all of it, vs. who don’t have such privilege. It’s a fair game that introduces the whole concept of Government 2.0.

Whether governments are ready for such transformation, or not, we will have to wait. I can tell you netizens have been readying for years on it and becoming very good at it.

• Ed Bradford says:

Privacy and Security:

I’m all for very much less secrets. However, the type of data being collected is more than just personal (static) information. Even so, much personal static information is not something that most people want to share. (Health history, marriage history, traffic ticket history, arrests without conviction history, …).

My discomfort comes from the real time tracking history of people (telephone “metadata”, cell phone gps tracking, email “metadata”, email contents, texting contents and cell phone contents). My discomfort has grown exponentially since the IRS thing and the hacking of Sharyl Attkisson’s computer. The very fact that the information exists means that people like Lois Lerner, Edward Snowden and Bradley Manning and who knows else can use both static and dynamic personal data for their own purposes.

I have seen no proposals of how to acquire such data AND protect it. I’ve seen no proposals
    from giant companies for solutions that would comfort most thinking people. It is as if everyone (individuals and corporations) are just looking the other way and hoping disaster doesn’t happen to them.

The only half-hearted solution I can think of is

1. Audit in great detail all access to the data
    Verify the audit weekly. Store the audit
    records forever. The audit must
    be the highest
    quality part of the entire “prism” system –
    provably correct.

2. Once a year give person A complete access to
    audit records concerning person A.

3. Should any such data be used outside of
    the law, that person who accessed it is
    subject to both criminal and civil liability.

#1 says whatever data is accessed is
    recorded.
    #2 says the person you were concerned about
    can find your name if you accessed data
    about that person.
    #3 says you are subject to criminal and civil
    liability if you access data illegally.

Social media provides a medium through which people can communicate. Building trust without
    ever seeing someone or speaking to him or her is the challenge for people and companies. Build a raison d’être that draws people and social media will be the tie that binds once that trust is built.

In my opinion, the FISA court makes such trust impossible.

Incoherent, I am certain. Sorry for the lack of planning what I said.

• Luis Suarez says:

Hi Ed, those are some very interesting thoughts and I appreciate you sharing them along. If anything, they are highlighting a very interesting dilemma that we will have to start addressing sooner rather than later: what are we going to do with all of that (now public) information. I think the challenge doesn’t reside on whether privacy or security need to be taken into account, which they should, but it is more what kind of use would you want to make of such data and I think that’s where the issues abound, because we just haven’t explored them well and deep enough.

Over time we are going to see how those who control those flows of information are eventually going to be the ones with the real power in terms of decision making and while I can see how many would object to such kind of power I think the potential lies on whether that information can be used for good, vs. not good. That’s where the moral and ethics of the whole story kicks in, because somehow we are all inclined to think that power will be used for no good purpose and why we would need to perhaps regulate it to a certain extent. Your suggestions above could well be good indicators to get that conversation going, because so far it’s not happening.

Over here, in the EU, the situation is a whole lot more different since the access to such information always needs to come forward from a judicial decision, so unless judges are involved such access to information is illegal, and that’s perhaps one of the steps that needs to also take place in the US, although taking into account the various different implications, obviously.

Definitely, the beginning of quite interesting times, for sure!

• Avelina says:

Hi there,

Avelina here from Neomam Studios.

I emailed you a couple of weeks back but haven’t heard back from you. Hope you don’t mind me sending a follow-up, it’s just that I think you’ll like what we’ve created.

We’ve launched an updated + comprehensive map to the state of Internet censorship around the world, including the different types of restrictions that impact all regions across the globe. You can check it out on http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/eric-schmidt-thinks-internet-will-kill-censorship/ as their team recently picked it up.

If you find it relevant to your audience, let me know and I’ll send over a high res version right away. If not, I’d appreciate any feedback you might have.

Look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you for your time!

Best,

Avelina

• Luis Suarez says:

Hi Avelina, Thanks for dropping by over here and for sharing the comment across. Apologies for the long delay on the response as I am just recovering from a nasty spam comment attack from over the last few days … Just checked out the URL you shared above and it looks like it would fit in perfectly all right with the article I shared earlier on today as well on celebrating the World Wide Web’s 25th anniversary, highlighting perhaps how there is still plenty of work to get done to address plenty of the issues and problems that piece of research shows. Thanks for sharing it across!