One of the different consequences that I suffered from last week, while I lost my Internent connection for several days, was the fact that when I got everything back to a normal status I could no longer connect my Nokia N95 to the Wi-Fi network. I tried everything I could think of and nothing. It wouldn’t connect. I talked to a whole bunch of folks and most of them advised me that it might have been a problem of incompatibility between the N95 and my new wireless router, so was kindly asked to check that out with my Internet provider
However, before spending some time doing that, I thought I would check things out through our good friend Google and see if folks were having the same problems as myself with that nasty error message: "No Gateway Reply". And lo and behold plenty of folks have been having similar issues to the ones I was experiencing. Very nice! Things were looking good!
Unfortunately, none of the solutions offered in the various forums, I tried them all, did the trick for me. A bit disappointing, seeing how many folks have encountered a similar problem in the past. Was starting to get a bit frustrated as well, thinking that I was not going to get the N95 to work again with the new router.
Then, all of a sudden, I remembered something that really did the trick for me. And, like usual, it was a rather simple solution. Yes, indeed, simple things work the best, don’t they? In this case it was a problem with the WEP key that I was using for my wireless router and which my N95 apparently accepted in the first place, but still didn’t allow me to connect to it.
That is right, to fix the "No Gateway Reply" error on the N95 I just needed to change the WEP encryption key from the 13 alphanumeric combination that the router came with by default to a string of 26 Hexadecimal (Hex) characters (0-9 and A-F). And voilá! Problem fixed! I can now browse again the Web with the N95 in the same protected environment I was having before the router crash. Way cool!
And, of course, since I couldn’t find this other solution to such error, I decided to blog about it, hoping that those folks who may be searching for this problem are able to find another solution to the problem, apart from the ones that other people have been suggesting all along.
Time now to continue experimenting with that fascinating world that Mobile 2.0 really is …