Today was the day where I was back at work trying to weblog in my Intranet weblog and to take things for a spin I decided to see how the Performancing for FireFox extension from FireFox would work. If you would remember, not long ago, I created a couple of weblog posts on my overall experience about Performancing for FireFox and back then I mentioned how I saw some initial issues when trying to get this extension to work with one other Open Source weblogging engine, which is Roller Weblogger. And the same thing happened with Flock’s weblogging component.
Either way, I decided to give it another try today and to my surprise even though I initially had some issues getting it to work in the end I managed to set up the account manually for my Intranet weblog, which uses Roller and right away I thought I was off to a good start. Whooops, but not so fast, Mr. Apparently, the account got set up all right and I could see that there was a successful connection to my Intranet weblog. However, I do not seem to be able to get the listing of categories nor the previous weblog posts that I have created already. It just displays a grey screen. Nothing happening.
As you may have figure out already I had to set up the weblog through the manual process since it is protected in an Intranet and while doing that initial set up I had to choose the option for MetaWeblog API in order to be able to connect to it since Roller is not listed as an option on the list of weblogging engines available. So, I said, fair enough, as long as it connects I should be fine. But now that I am connected, I am not that fine. As I said the listing of categories and previous weblog posts do not seem to be working, which means that it is rather awkward to post a article to a place where some of the options are missing.
I have read somewhere (Wish I could find that link again, grrr ! Where were you BlinkList when I needed you!) that this may not be a problem with Performancing For FireFox per se, but from the MetaWeblog API option that fails to grab the categories and the history from a weblog based on Roller. Thus I am not sure if that is something that would be fixed eventually. What I was hoping for is that Performancing For FireFox would eventually fix this issue by allowing the possibility of having Roller Weblogger added as another option to choose from other weblogging engines. That way, we would not have to go through the same thing and still be able to function properly with our own weblogs regardless of what engine they run.
Oh, but don’t worry, because this same issue is happening to other weblogging tools that I have been talking about over here: Both Qumana and the weblogging component from Flock have got this same problem and unless Roller is added into the list of options available for selection I doubt we would have any success to make full use of the capabilities of each of these weblogging tools for that particular weblogging engine. And that, to me, would be a pity, because although this engine may not be particularly popular like Blogger, TypePad or LiveJournal it is still an option out there for quite a few of us and therefore it would be just like shutting us down from the benefits of weblogging in general. That is why I just hope that one of these days this Open Source weblogging engine would be part of all three weblogging tool options.
In this particular case, w.bloggar is the big winner since it includes a whole bunch of different weblogging engines, Roller included, that none of the other tools current offer that people can choose from. This, on its own, is what is making me continue using extensively w.bloggar as my default weblogging tool as opposed to other options since it just simply does the job. And quite nicely !
[tags]Roller, Roller+Weblogger, Performancing, Qumana, Flock, wbloggar[/tags]